Monday, January 17, 2011

New Year Brings Renewed Adventures

I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays and have arrived in the New Year with as much enthusiasm as I have. Wow, it's been a regular roller coaster of life for us here. The snow and wind finally arrived and my world revolves around which wood stove is going at the moment. Quilts and new products are being created and shipped out. I'm working on getting my own website built for my long arm business. I do believe a website is necessary these days for exposure and an easy reference place for clients to visit. I'll let you all know when I'm up.
I am looking forward to spring already (of course). My mom in Washington just heard her first tree frog of the year the other night and all I heard was howling winds. Oh well, I love living here (especially in the glorious non-snow season). It is always hard for me to be frozen in January when I know springs thaw is just around the corner full of new life and new things to see. I look forward to the pretty purple violets on the snow laden ground-they bring such joy! I look forward to wanting to be outside again soaking up the Colorado sun, letting it warm my soul.
I'm also looking forward to creating a lot more quilts in the next few months. The only way to do that is to get quilting! So for now, everybody go do what you love most with the zest of new beginnings!
I thought I'd write a little more about violets. These are the most wonderful flowers that appear in the early spring as the snow gets lighter. That isn't until June around 9000' but look for them earlier elsewhere. One of the common names for Violets is 'Heartease'. This is because of its reputed herbal properties of bringing ease and lightness to the heart after the winter. I eat them every spring down at Long's Gardens. It does get harder to find ones that the 'resident deer' haven't done bad things too, but I search them out. They appear in Boulder in March-April so I can get them sooner than my mountain white variety. You can also make a wonderful Elixir by harvesting clean violets and adding them to honey. Let this set for a while and strain if desired. I usually just leave the flowers in. Eat by the spoonful or in teas to experience the spring joy that is the Violet! * Remember to harvest violets clean of known toxins. I am not claiming any doctoral advice here or anything. It is just something I do to bring in the spring.

For now, I must be happy and cozy with homemade bread and stew. However, I am curious what symbolizes spring for everyone else. I'd love it if you'd share with me what the thought of spring to come holds for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment