Monday, October 29, 2012

Beautiful Quilts, Beautiful Week


Nana's Hannah
 This is Nana's Hannah.  I quilted it quite heavily with all sorts of free motion designs.  I actually photographed them all and will be compiling them on my website at some point in the future.  I was really happy with how this quilt came out.  It was hand pieced by my  paternal grandmother and I got to quilt it.  How fun to be able to pass along such a treasure carrying the generations of a family working together.
I was also able to finally finish a quilted wall piece that has been around a while.  It was an inspired day when my husband handed me this piece of hand-dyed fabric.  I just saw the landscape.  Moonlit Mystery is the first in what I hope to be a long series of landscape quilts.  I find them so peaceful, tranquil and inspiring both to create and to gaze at almost in meditation.  I am not he only one who loves this quilt.  It was unfinished but on display at my open studio tour.  I had several offers for if I finished it.  It was on hold while I did all the other quilts recently and then I had a day to finish.  It was easy to decide who to call first with an offer.  I was struck by the last woman to visit my studio that weekend.  She had obviously been having some health issues and just wanted something new (she also wrote down that she wanted it with her phone number on my mailing list).
Years ago, I was told by an amazing woman that I should/needed to be making healing quilts.  It has been tickling my brain as to what these quilts would look like, not just the healing intentions sewn with the threads that hold the quilts together.  Maybe I have found them in the landscape quilts.  Healing is an ever going, ever changing process.   My one wish today is that all people have the strength, courage, and support to heal themselves and this beautiful earth we all call home.
Our Foxy visitor this week


No comments:

Post a Comment