Sunday, August 10, 2014

Boulder County Flood Quilt to be Diplayed at County Courthouse

            This quilt is a very special one indeed.  It a collaborative effort by many people to remember the flood that devastated Boulder and surrounding mountain communities last year.  As I told the Longmont  Times Call photographer that came to visit my studio:  Everyone has their own flood story, this quilt helps to tell some of those stories.  In the weeks following the flood, the people of our community really came together to help one another.  Much like how this quilt was created.
     A call for blocks was put out earlier in the year.  Sadly, I missed the deadline.  Just two days after the deadline though, I received an email wondering if I might be interested in quilting this magnificent piece.  I leaped at the opportunity!  I so wanted to be a part of the project and am so happy they choose me.  I tried to enhance and honor the blocks without adding to much.  The sashing and borders however were my playground.  In the sashing, I quilted jumbles of pebbles and flowing rivers everywhere.  In the darker brown borders, I did some flowing blue columbines.  It is now off in the hands of the volunteer that will bind it.
     Once finished, this quilt be on display at the Boulder County Courthouse for all to view.  I think the installation is to be a permanent one as well.  The plan is to hang it in time for the 1st anniversary on September 11th.          
Boulder County Flood Quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment