Thursday, May 20, 2010

Snake Seed of Life


This quilt was inspired by the word "Kundalini". My client used that one powerful word and this quilt was created. The Seed has black bias tape sewn down to give more of a stained glass look. The fire fabrics my husband dyed were great. Each of my quilts are a learning experience. It was after this quilt we decided to do mitered corners with this type of border in order to look really good. Also, I learned bias tape wider than 1 1/2" will not lay smooth. The snake fabric was dyed and then I prepared 2" wide bias strips. While fabric gluing in place, I discovered it would not lie flat on the inner side of the curves. My solution was to incorporate several small pleats on the inner part. This added fabulous texture and made the snakes look more realistic. I learn so much from my mistakes! The quilt was so bright, we made it reversible. The backing had a blue Seed of Life with only a touch of red/orange to tie into the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment