Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Last night, I went to a friends house for chili and mountain-style trick-or-treating. As normal, the winds were at about 50 mile an hour gusts blowing snow all over these kids. One father organized a "hayride" (a.k.a. truck-ride) to a bunch of houses that answered the call. It was quite funny to suddenly see 20 kids bundled up so much you couldn't even tell what the costumes were. I hope everyone has a safe and happy one.
Speaking of chili, I thought I'd share my green chili recipe. I grew up in Taos, NM and am addicted to green chili. There are many different recipes for this savory stuff. My version is a simple one great for smothering burritos, enchiladas, and such and can be whipped up fairly quickly.
Here's how I make it:
1) Saute a small onion in 1-2 tablespoons butter.
2) One onions are golden, stir in 1-2 Tablespoon flour (this 1-2 bit lets you make a bit more)
3) After flour is absorbed, add:
about 1 cup water
1 teaspoon chicken bullion (vegetable stock if you want a vegetarian form)
1/4 cup frozen green chili (or can)
chopped garlic
salt, black pepper, and dash cayenne
4) Let it all simmer and get good. If it gets too thick, add more water.
Use on everything you think it would be good on, you will probably be right. Green Chili Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment