Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reflecting on Those I Love

The new year always makes me so very reminiscent and thankful. I go over the past year and count my blessings. Each one has a name, and each one has helped pull me through some very difficult times recently. To all my friends and family, I can never thank you enough. For my best friend, I make biscuits.
He's my dog, Bo, and he loves me faithfully. I never thought my best friend would be a dog. Of course, I never considered a lot of things in my life. If you have a faithful companion, you can make them these biscuits. They are quite simple, tasty, nutritious, and Bo waits by the oven (playing dead) the whole time their cooking. My husband likes the taste too. Bo's favorite are the peanut butter, but you could substitute chicken or beef bouillon as well. If you are at sea level, use 1 teaspoon of baking powder.

Bogie's Mommy Biscuits
1 3/4 cup flour ( I use 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat)
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup peanut butter (original recipe says creamy, Bo & I prefer crunchy)
2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
2 Tbs Honey (original recipe called for more, but I don't think dogs need too many sugars)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
3/4 cup water (if using bouillon, melt in water first)

1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Much hotter, and the honey will burn.
2) In large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats, wheat germ, honey, peanut butter, oil, and baking powder.
3) Add 3/4 cup water and mix to form a thick paste. (This is where peanut butter really gets mixed in instead of being lumps which don't cook well.)
4) Mix in Remaining 3/4 cup flour to make soft dough. Knead a few minutes to bring together.
5) Roll out dough on floured cutting board to 1/4 inch thick. Using dog bone cookie cutters or such, cut all dough and place on baking trays. Re-roll and cut until all used. Note: I usually just cut mine into squares. It is quicker & I don't think Bo really cares about the shape.
6) Bake for 20-40 minutes. Check regularly for burning. I usually flip part way through. You are wanting them to dry out and harden mostly. If you use sugar instead of honey, no worries about burning and you can cook at higher temperature.
I hope your furry, four legged friends enjoy these. Like all my cooking, not an exact science but always well worth the effort. I'm going to go make Bo some now. Have fun, go for a hike, and Happy New Year to All

No comments:

Post a Comment