Monday, December 21, 2009

A COMFORTABLY DECORATED HOME

Tis the season when we spend more time on home decoration. I feel most comfortable when surrounded by beauty. If you can rest your eyes on something beautiful or well-loved, I believe it makes you feel better. Kind of like petting your animals. Some things just make you feel good. I have many shelves filled with wonderful objects from all over the world. These are the best knick-knacks to decorate the home with. They are intriguing conversation pieces for visiting guests. Also, if it was a gift, it probably came with a good story to share.
For Christmas this year, I really was not comfortable with bringing in a tree. Our forest is being devasted by the pine beetles. Even if we dug one up, where to put it bothered me as well. I decided not to do one this year. When Solstice came, I suddenly really wanted to bring evergreens into the house. It is the smell and symbolism that were important afterall. The evergreens enliven the spirit. So, I went and harvested some branches off of trees that got beetles last year. Still fresh and green, but doomed in the near future. I then pulled out my floral supplies and began to create a topiary tree. It came out wonderfully adorable and sits on the table complete with a string of lights. It doesn't take much space yet it gives me so much in return. For me, this season is not about impressing anyone. It is about loving, reflecting, and being joyful that life can be so grand. Fill your home and hearts with love and beauty this season.
Happy Solstice!

No comments:

Post a Comment