Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Quilting with Community


This quilt was made by the community for the community. Over a dozen artists helped in this quilt project. It was my honor to be the quilter.

As a quilter, there are many ways to give to the community. I think quilters in general are very giving, loving, caring people. That is why so many wonderful foundations have been formed where quilts are collected and given to people who need them. There is something very special about receiving a quilt that was handmade. Quilts have value beyond compare because of the love that is in every stitch. Quilts can also be made by several hands. The making together bringing people together. Maybe you can find something in your community that could use your hands and heart.
I want to share my local project that is dear to my heart. It is a youth garden group. The kids range in age from very small to 18 years. The older kids plan, grow, and sell at the farmers market. This teaches them so much. They also learn how to prepare their produce and share that knowledge with others. They give to the local food share progam. I've just barely covered the surface of how great I think this program and the kids are. Every year, they hold a benefit dinner. I make a quilt to auction using the youth's artwork. I give them fabric and markers and tell them to show what the Cultiva Project means to them. It is amazing what they returned to me this year. I pieced the quilt using my husband's tie-dye fabrics and then quilted it heavily. It is a challenge to work with others artwork. You want to define and add to it but not distract from the original artwork. I was so pleased with how it came out. I wonder what next years will be.
I hope you are inspired now. Speaking of teaching children, I just came across a great book I thought I'd let know about. It is an ebook called Cookin Kids. If you want to have a great time spreading love in the kitchen, you should really check out this ebook. You can find it at the link in the sidebar. Enjoy the holidays with children you know. They do warm the soul. We can all do so much to make this a brighter, cozier world.
Until next time, happy quilting and cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment