Sunday, February 28, 2010

More Dragon Talk

Here is the whole quilt that was collaborated on by my family members. As I said before, my brother with the "drawing on paper" skills designed this quilt. (Can you tell I'm a little jealous to not be able to draw? Give me fabric or frosting though and watch out!)
It was my mother that did a great job piecing it. There were a few things that my mom wasn't happy with. Jake would not let her change them though. My mom's issues were the large amount of open space and she thought it should have a castle. She did just what Jake wanted though. The quilt top was nice, but I did agree with mom.
That's the difference between mom and sister. A sister will do what she wants and tends to back mom. That is exactly what I did. I honored both wishes quite well I believe. The heavy quilting textured all the open background space giving it life. On the top of the hill in the distance is embroidered/quilted in a small turreted castle. So small it could easily be missed, yet if noticed begins the questions in the viewers mind. Who could live there? What are they like? Do they know there is a dragon close by?
I think quilts should tell a story of some sort, especially pictorial quilts. I continue to share more photos and stories of this quilt. Wait until you see the backing and hear how I used it to quilt the Celtic knot work.

No comments:

Post a Comment